Sunday, 26 March 2017

Artikinesis Spring back into action

Artikinesis Springtime Exhibition

West Berkshire Museum, Newbury

29 March - 23 April 2017

West Berkshire Museum in Newbury (also known simply as “Newbury Museum”) is hosting the latest exhibition from the five-strong collective Artikinesis.

Adeliza Mole •  Elinor Cooper •  Amanda Bates •  Rosemary Lawrey •  Brian R. Marchant

 a selection of original artwork inspired by
West Berkshire and North Hampshire

West Berkshire Museum • Gallery 5 (upstairs)
29 March to 23 April 2017

Wednesday, 8 March 2017


Ghost. Oil on canvas, 38 x 46 cm
This, a different angle on the ruined chapel at the Holy Ghost cemetery to that seen in my last post, was painted for Artikinesis' Basingstoke Project. I posted it on the Artikinesis site, but not here. It uses a limited colour palette - there is no red (this is offset a little by the warm brown of the linen ground). I used Phthalo Blue, Yellow Ochre and Titanium White.

Not Just Roundabouts

I've always liked the old railway posters. A "Travel" theme prompted this attempt at evoking their spirit, drawn in Molotow One4All Markers on A5. Since Artikinesis did The Basingstoke Project, I have a wealth of source material on Basingstoke (less than ten miles distant and, one could argue - as indeed we did - in need of an image adjustment). This is from a line sketch of the ruined chapel in the Holy Ghost cemetery, not far from the railway station.

Sunday, 5 February 2017

Cover 2 Cover 2017

The local Open Studios sketchbook exchange scheme is well underway and I don't seem to have posted about it at all. This year, we are working in second hand books, chosen to refect our themes. It's a strange feeling, delibeately defacing a printed book, but it's easier if you're not the first...

Here is a small selection from the work I have done so far.

My own theme was Classical Mechanics, which is about macroscopic movement and physical forces. The book I was given was A Child's A-Z of Technology, whose slippery A4 pages were difficult to work with; I ended up obliterating much of the content with acrylic gesso, although there were a few entries that seemed apt enough to retain:
Clocks and Cogs: original content, graphite pencil, Molotow marker and watch parts.

Sunday, 22 January 2017

Dancing Trees

Dancing Trees, oil on linen canvas, 33 x 41 cm
Another one from late last year. This is based on photographs taken two Januaries ago in Hamstead Park near Newbury, Berkshire.

Tuesday, 17 January 2017

Market Day (Basingtoke)

"Market Day", acrylic on canvas board, 40 x 40 cm
This is one of the paintings from late last year that I never quite managed to get a decent photograph of. The light was good today and I had my camera in the studio, so I did a bit of catching up.

The subject here is Basingstoke's bustling market at the "Top of Town" - the older bit of the town centre, a little uphill from the roofed-in modern shopping precincts. The large white building was once the town hall and is now the Willis Museum (run by the Hampshire Cultural Trust for the town).

This image was based on one of my pages from the Artikinesis colouring book, and painted for the upcoming North Hampshire Art exhibition, to be held at the Willis Museum in May.

Friday, 9 December 2016

Artist of the Year competition shortlist

The UK magazine Artists and Illustrators runs an annual artist of the year competition. I entered it and was delighted to hear that the judges had shortlisted my  Shelves of Inspiration. There are 50 artists on the shortlist, and all of the pieces will be on display 23 - 28 Janaury 2017 at the Mall Galleries, London.

Part of the competition is a Reader's Choice vote. If you want to vote, you can see the whole shortlist here:

If you know that you want to vote for me, click here.